News Worth Reading!
For our last post this month, we want to shift gears from talking about smaller scale environmental steps to broadening our conversation on a global level. What are some positive stories happening around the world that demonstrate the power of collective action?
Here is some exciting news from 2019 alone that has our Ecopiggy team motivated about what’s to come. As a company, we feel inspired to continue educating our customers and sharing quality, sustainable products that are healthy for families and for the environment. So, here we go, in no particular order…
- New York follows California’s lead and says goodbye to plastic bags! There will still be an option to buy a 5 cent bag with proceeds going to the state’s Environmental Protection Fund.
- On the other side of the ocean, the EU voted to ban ten types of single-use plastics for all member nations by 2021. (This is huge!!)
- The emphasis on reusing containers is making its way into the food and home goods delivery subscription industry, with a new concept called Loop.
- The kids are fighting for their future! 1.4 million students skipped school and protested for environmental rights, under the leadership of 16-year-old Swedish activist, Greta Thunberg.
- Public school kids in New York will be part of a shift to reduce meat consumption in cafeterias. “Meatless Monday” is coming this fall for the 2019/20 school year!
- Regenerative Agriculture is having its moment! Applegate Farms is sourcing all of its meat from regenerative sources and pushing for an official label on packages.
- On city roads, Lyft riders now have the option to request an electric vehicle in “Green Mode.” The theme of carbon neutrality is taking off around the country, especially with more e-bike and scooter sharing services around the country.
- Yelp will now enable customers to rate their dining experiences based on sustainable measures! This transparency truly puts the voting power back in the diners’ hands.
- How refreshing to see that Yosemite National Park was the backdrop of an award-winning documentary called “Free Solo” (go see it if you haven’t yet!)
These are just a few examples of inspiring stories from the last four months, but overall, the momentum is building and people are truly waking up to change on so many levels. We feel lucky to be part of this movement with you all!